The Himmarshee Chapter was organized May 9, 1927. The name was chosen to honor the New River.
"A long time ago, when the course of New River was only a dense jungle filled with wild beasts, the Indians were awakened one night by thundering noises, a shaking of the Earth, and a wild wind blowing from the southeast. The next morning, they found the river which they called Himmarshee, which was later changed to New River by the white man."
"Geologists who have studied the rocks, coral ridges, their peculiar formations and the old Indian legends with later history of New River, believe the story may be true in every detail. The rock ridges show that there was at one time an underground river through the ridge which was an outlet for the Everglades, and at the time of some ancient earthquake, the surface rock crumpled and the river came into being." (History of Broward County-Sara Crim)
"Mysterious New River is the deepest stream in Florida, having a depth of ninety feet in many places (one of which is at Tarpon Bend). Other places have a depth of only nine feet, yet it is only eight miles in length and narrow enough to be called a canal in some places." (Mrs. Leslie Rigdon)
In 1995 the Francis Broward Chapter disbanded and many of the members transferred to the Himmarshee Chapter. Francis Broward Chapter was organized on May 23, 1952, in Fort Lauderdale. Mrs. David M. Wright, Organizing Secretary General, installed Mrs. William A. Wolfe, Regent, and the other organizing officers of the chapter. The Chapter was named for Francis Broward, a native of Provence, France, who came to America in 1764 and served in the American Revolution. His large family moved from South Carolina to East Florida Territory in 1800 and the fourth generation produced Napoleon Bonaparte Broward, Jr., who was elected Governor of Florida in 1904. Broward County was named for him when it was established in 1915. Many of the organizing members were members of Himmarshee Chapter, but were unable to attend the afternoon meetings. They decided to organize another chapter which would meet in the mornings while the children were in school. The Chapter made many outstanding contributions to the community and won many awards from the state and national societies during its 43 years. (DAR State History Book Vol. III., pg 149-150, Jean Winters, Regent)
The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.